Spanish AB Initio is a language acquisition course designed to provide students with the necessary skills and intercultural understanding to enable them to communicate in a basic and succesful way. It belongs to the second group of the IB Diploma and as ist name indicates, the students learn Spanish without any previous knowlwdge.
Besides developing the oral and written skills, one of the main objectives is to demonstrate an intercultural understanding by learning and reflecting on the similarities and differences between the Spanish-Latin culture and the student’s own culture.
The aims of this program are to:
- Enable students to understand and use Spanish in a range of contexts and for a variety of purposes.
- Enable students to use the language appropiately.
- Encourage, through the study of texts and through social interaction, an awareness and appreciation of the different perspectives of people from other cultures.
- Develop student‘s awareness about the role of language in relation to other areas of knowledge.
- Provide the opportunity for enjoyment, creativity and intellectual stimulation through knowledge of language.
- Develop student‘s awareness of the relationship between the languages and cultures with which they are familiar.
- Understand and use accurately the basic structures of the language.
- Understand and use an appropriate range of vocabulary.